Labour’s Shadow Health Secretary joined MP Karin Smyth to visit the South Bristol NHS Community Hospital, and learn more about the outcomes of a local survey which found nine out of ten local people would like to see more services introduced there, not least to reduce the need to travel across the city for healthcare.
Heidi Alexander MP toured the hospital, having been invited by Bristol South MP Karin Smyth, who has been consulting her constituents on ways the facility can better meet local needs.
Analysis of the first few hundred responses to Karin Smyth’s survey shows:
• A large majority of people who have so far taken part have direct experience of using South Bristol NHS Community Hospital, and most are warm and positive about it
• Nine out of ten respondents think there should be more services there
• Two thirds of people who have completed the survey travel elsewhere in the city for some healthcare.
• Cancer screening services, followed by a seven day GP service, and are the most sought-after additional services, judging by the responses so far.
After the visit Karin Smyth said: “What we have here is a really good foundation on which to build in the future.
“Following this survey I will be working closely with the Trust that runs the hospital, and with local commissioners, on plans for the next five to ten years, and the views of my constituents will continue to be key to this process.”
Heidi Alexander added: “What became clear to me about the services provided here is that there is an opportunity to expand the local healthcare offer so that people living in this part of the city can access quality healthcare closer to their homes.
“Karin Smyth has been doing some really interesting work on exploring how we might expand that range of services at the hospital so that the quality of healthcare improves.”
Robert Woolley, Chief Executive of UH Bristol, said: “We are delighted that this survey has shown that local people value South Bristol Community Hospital. Since the hospital opened in 2012 we have expanded the range of services that is on offer. We are committed to continuing this work with Karin and the Bristol Clinical Commissioning Group to deliver safe and effective care for the people of south Bristol and to deliver this as close to their homes as we can.”
The following services are currently provided at South Bristol Community Hospital:
• Inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation
• Urgent care
• Day hospital services
• Outpatient clinics covering a broad range of services
• Day surgery
• Community dental treatment and
• Neuro-physiotherapy outpatients