A vacancy has arisen for a Senior Communications Officer in Karin’s team.
Based in Bristol for 15 hours (2 days) per week, communicating with all media, managing the website, using social media and researching local, regional and national issues to support Karin’s work. The role entails analysing, evaluating and interpreting data to ensure the MP is accurately informed on key issues and is aware of trends, providing briefings for the MP and responding to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups.
Job Title: Senior Communications Officer
Salary Range: £28,000 – £32,000 (pro rata) depending on experience
Hours: 15 hours / 2 days per week (flexible)
Closing date: Monday 23 October 2017
Interview date: Friday 27 October 2017
- monitor media coverage, liaise with media, prepare press releases as required (on constituency, non-party political matters)
- proactive and reactive communications with all media
- manage the MP’s website contents
- publicise the MP’s parliamentary activity on social media
- follow up on social media queries and comments
- research local, regional and national issues to support the MP’s work
- analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the MP is accurately informed on key issues and is aware of trends
- develop knowledge in specialist areas
- provide briefings for the MP
- respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists and pressure groups
- liaise with government agencies, voluntary sector and others to resolve constituency matters
- ensure records are kept and information managed confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- degree educated, or equivalent relevant experience
- experience of working with print, broadcast and electronic media in a role such as journalist or press officer
- Strong news sense and a good knowledge of the needs of local and national media
- able to influence people and build long-lasting, positive relationships
- able to take responsibility for tasks and act on own initiative
- excellent time management skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines
- excellent written and oral communication skills
- able to research issues and analyse data
- able to work with diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality
- excellent attention to detail and the capacity to work under pressure
- an interest in politics, social justice and current affairs
- in sympathy with the aims and values of the Labour Party.
If you would like to discuss the role with Karin please call 0117 953 3575.
If you are interested in applying please send a CV and covering letter setting out your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.