Karin Smyth, MP in Bristol South, is looking for a caseworker to join her constituency team to help respond to higher levels of casework due the coronavirus pandemic.
This new position is a part time, fixed term post. The successful candidate will work closely with the Senior Caseworker. The role is interesting and covers a broad range of casework.
Training will be provided as needed. The role is based in Karin’s constituency office in Bristol South. However, in the event of a new lockdown, the post-holder would need to be able to work from home.
Hours: Part-time, 30 hours per week (days/hours negotiable)
Fixed term contract: To 31 March 2021
Salary: £20,800 for 30 hours, (£26,000 FT equivalent) per annum
Start date: Monday 17 August 2020
Deadline for applications: 5pm on Friday 24 July 2020
Date of interviews: Thursday 30 July 2020 (either online or social distancing, to be confirmed)
· Responding to constituency casework. This involves handling enquiries from constituents (usually by phone or e-mail) and taking the appropriate action quickly and efficiently.
· Managing a varied caseload effectively, researching and drafting correspondence as required.
· Contacting government departments, local authority departments, public sector and private sector organisations.
· Accurate record keeping, retaining and processing information sensitively, confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act 2005 and GDPR 2018.
· Attending surgeries and other meetings as appropriate.
· Liaising with community groups and local organisations.
· Supporting colleagues within the constituency team as needed.
Essential skills / experience
· Previous experience of customer service / casework / complaints handling by telephone.
· Able to respond compassionately and respectfully to sensitive issues on behalf of constituents.
· Strong organisation and time management skills, with the ability to prioritise and work under pressure.
· Able to work as part of a team as well as on your own initiative with the ability to manage your own caseload.
· A professional, polite and confident telephone manner.
· Excellent written communication skills.
· Accuracy and attention to detail.
· Strong IT skills, and experience of using Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook.
· In sympathy with the aims and values of the Labour Party.
Desirable skills / experience
· Experience of responding to people with stressful problems
· Experience of using a case management system or database.
· A full UK driving licence.
· Good local knowledge of the Bristol South area and the issues faced by constituents in Bristol South.
· An interest in politics or experience of working in a political environment, public or third sector.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter (outlining how you meet each of the requirements of the post) to Karin Smyth at email@example.com