- Hundreds of young people meet employers at the South Bristol Apprenticeships & Jobs Fair 2018
Some of Bristol’s biggest employers met hundreds of the city’s young jobseekers as part of an apprenticeship fair in Hengrove during National Apprenticeship Week 2018. The South Bristol Jobs & Apprenticeship Fair, organised by Bristol South MP and City of Bristol College, took place at the South Bristol Skills Academy in Hengrove and was attended by people from across Bristol and beyond. Airbus, Hargreaves Lansdown, Bristol […]
- MP Karin Smyth teams up with City of Bristol College for the South Bristol Jobs & Apprenticeships Fair 2018
Following on from the success of last year’s event, Bristol South MP Karin Smyth has joined forces with City of Bristol College for another apprenticeships and jobs fair. Taking place from 12 noon – 5.30pm on Thursday 8 March, the event will involve local businesses and organisations with job and apprenticeship opportunities. Hundreds of young job seekers from across south Bristol and beyond are expected to attend the fair, which […]
- Air rifle review underway following shooting of Bristol toddler and intervention of Bristol South MP Karin Smyth
The family of a young Bristol boy who was left with lasting injuries after he was shot with an air rifle have welcomed a government review into air weapons after their MP Karin Smyth raised the issue in the House of Commons. Both Karin and Edward Studley, the father of Harry Studley who was just 18 months when he was shot in the head by a former family friend in 2016, are helping to inform a new government air weapons review. They are calling […]
- Karin Smyth MP votes against EU Withdrawal Bill for failing to ensure Parliament has control of our laws, protects rights at work, the economy and the environment
I campaigned and voted to remain in the European Union. The majority of voters in my constituency and in Bristol as a city did not want to leave the EU either (I regularly receive letters from constituents on both sides of this debate about this). But the overall referendum result was in favour of Brexit. I respect that result and have been working towards ensuring the best deal for the UK. The journey […]
- Karin Smyth MP on the importance of the new arena development remaining in Bristol South.
Karin has responded to the announcement that Bristol City Council is considering moving the planned Arena away from Bristol South. She said: “For many years, we’ve been looking forward to welcoming a new arena to Bristol South and the potential it brings with it for jobs and apprenticeships, investment and the local economy. An arena for Bristol has been a long time coming with plans for developments at Ashton Gate and Temple […]
- Karin Smyth MP gives a speech in the NHS Winter Crisis debate on health inequalities and a lack of accountability across the NHS.
In her speech in the NHS Winter Crisis debate in the House of Commons yesterday, Karin highlighted the need for South Bristol Community Hospital to be given more support in order to tackle major health inequalities in the area. She also described how the Government’s NHS transformation plans have created confusion for NHS workers and patients alike. Karin argued there needs to be more accountability and greater financial transparency […]
- Karin writes about the need for the NHS to be more accountable to local people.
Karin Smyth MP has just published an article for the Health Service Journal about the need for the NHS to be more accountable to local people following the Government’s disastrous Health & Social Care Act. You can read it here… The Kings Fund’s Chris Ham recently wrote about tighter working at the top of the NHS, reducing the number of commissioning bodies and much closer working between the NHS and local authorities. He argues […]